Find My Friends lets you easily locate your friends and family from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Whether you’re on a family trip to a theme park or just want to meet up with some acquaintances for a drink, Find my Friends can make sure everyone knows where everyone else is.
Location sharing may be a scary thought for some, but Apple gives you a lot of control over who you can locate and who can locate you. The location information is encrypted, it’s only kept on Apple servers for two hours, and then it’s permanently deleted.
How to set up Find my Friends on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
- Go to “Settings” > “Privacy” > “Location Services”, and make sure it’s turned on.
- Go to “Find Friends” in the list , and select “While Using”.
- Go back to your home screen, and tap the “Find My Friends” icon.
How to add friends to Find my Friends
Before you can use Find my Friends on your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad, you need to add some friends.
- Tap Add in the upper right corner.
- Type the name of the person, select the contact, and tap send.
- Select how long you would like to share your location with your friend for.
- You will see a notification that you are now sharing your location with your friend. Tap OK.
How to follow your friends
- Tap the name of the person you want to follow, or you can ask after you add the person.
- Select Ask to Follow.
- You will see a notification that the request has been sent. Tap OK.
How to set restrictions for children
You may want to use Find My Friends to locate your children. This is a great tool for parents, but it can be dangerous for minors to allow others to find them using this app. To disable this follow these steps:
- Go to Settings > General > Restrictions, and tap Enable Restrictions.
- Set a passcode, and don’t share this passcode with anyone.
- Scroll down to Share My Location, select it, and tap Don’t Allow Changes.