iOS doesn’t provide a native application to create contact groups on the fly. Fortunately, you can create a contact group with iCloud. We will give a quick tutorial on how to make contact groups with iCloud.
- Go to iCloud.com and sign into your iCloud account using your Apple ID and password. Then, select Contacts to view a list of your current contacts.
- Select the addition sign in the bottom-left corner, and click New Group from the resulting pop-up menu. Alternatively, you can double-click the empty gray space to quickly create a new group.
- Next, replace the temporary group name and click anywhere outside of the text box to save it. If you want to change the name, double-click it and type the new name.
- To add contacts to a particular group, choose All Contacts at the top of the Contacts list, and click and drag your desired contacts to the desired group.
- To delete an entire group — or just a single contact from a group — select it, click the gear icon in the bottom-left corner, and select Delete. Keep in mind that this only deletes the contact from the group; deleting a group doesn’t delete the contacts it contained.
- Your group will then automatically sync with your iPhone’s contact list. To use your new group, tap the contacts icon on your iPhone and select Groups from the upper-left corner of your contacts page. Then, check the groups you want to use and select Done.
- If you accidentally deleted a group or a contact from a group, you can always use iCloud and an earlier iteration of your contact list to to restore it. To do so, log into your iCloud account on the web and click Settings. Once there, you’ll see a host of options for restoring contacts, files, reminders, calendars, and bookmarks under the Advanced section.