Did you know that text messages don’t really get deleted when you delete them? If you’ve deleted some texts by mistake and want to recover them on your iPhone, however, there are ways you can do this.
1. Restoring messages from an iCloud Backup
Restoring an iCloud backup is probably the easiest way to recover deleted text messages on your iPhone. Provided that you have iCloud Backup turned on, and your iPhone has been doing its scheduled backups, then your deleted texts should be backed up to iCloud.
- Go to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
- Make sure iCloud Backup is turned on.
- After that, you will have to erase your iPhone by going into Settings > General > Reset.
- Choose Erase All Content and Settings.
- Once done, you’ll be asked if you want to restore your iPhone from an iCloud Backup.
- Choose Restore from iCloud Backup.
Once your backup is restored, you should be able to access any messages that were on your phone when you first made the backup.
2. Restoring messages from an oTunes backup
If you’re in the habit of doing backups through iTunes, then you should have a number of backups to choose from. However, this requires a bit of digging in the iTunes preferences before you plug your iPhone into your computer.
- In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices.
- Make sure Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically is checked.
- Click OK.
If you sync your iPhone with iTunes, you can permanently delete messages so they can’t be recovered. Once you’ve prevented your iPhone from automatically syncing, however, there are two ways to restore your iPhone from an iTunes backup.
- After you reset your iPhone to its factory settings, you can either Restore from iTunes Backup or plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes.
- Select your iPhone in the top menu, and in the Summary section, click Restore Backup.
- If asked to update your device, select Download only.